Saturday, March 01, 2008

Midland Texas ???

I recently flew to Austin and was asked by another passenger about the attitude in Midland. Her question took me back so I asked her to clarify what she meant. She stated that she had read that everyone in Midland was wealthy and are very unaccepting of "outsiders." I pondered if I agreed or disagreed. I finally told her and I quote "A friend of mine, who was born in Midland and has lived here over 40 years, told me once "Midland is full of $24,000 a year Millionaires." This sums up Midland. Midlander's tend to play games over prosperity & are experts in keeping up with the Jones'. My husband & I earn under $100,000 per year. We are very conservative with our money and have no debt. When you drive around Midland you will see lots of Hummers and other SUV's but then these drivers might be using a Lone Star Card. The majority of people in Midland like to act like they are "rich" when they aren't. It is an attitude. I think there are people in Midland that are very wealthy (I have not ever seen any of them on the Forbes list, which is what I think of when I think of wealthy). The median income in Midland is in around $40,000 per household. I think the people with the biggest "uppity attitudes" are the ones that make $40,000. I know a couple that are from the Kellogg cereal family and they are sweethearts. The doctors/other income earners I know that make over $200,000 per year are also very nice. Midland is a generous community. My middle daughter is in private school and the parents there are kind and down to earth, but my son and youngest daughter are in public school and the majority of these parents seem to snub their noses at me. Hard to say what the attitude is, but then you can live here and not play that game. I go about my business and really do not care what they think. My children love their friends and are growing up in safe community."
She seemed puzzled by my answer and said "but doesn't everyone in Midland live in a mansion and have a private plane?" I laughed and said "only when they are playing who wants to pretend they are a Midlandaire!"

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i too live in midland,tx i seem to get the same thing at my son's public school. i want to send him to midland christian school but am not sure how the enviroment is there

12:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Anonymous

Midland Christian is a great school. A very positive environment. Mutual respect from students to teachers and teachers to students.

Lisa @ Crickettscorner

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently spent a couple of months in Midland & fell in love with the place. What I liked so much was that, regardless of income, people seemed content there. I lived near N. Midland Drive and Neely (if that clears anything up) & didn't go too far from home. I liked the people, low crime, unassuming attitudes of people I brushed shoulders with during the average day of errands, and I especially liked the weather. I plan on moving back there as soon as I can.

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home