Monday, July 03, 2006

Time Life Genre'

I was lying on the couch, flipping through the channels and a familiar song caught my attention. I giggled as I listened to the lyrics "Your Kiss is on my Lips."
My nostalgic glee faded and I aged 20 years as the phrase "Time Life Presents the Eighties" blared from the television. Music of the 80's could it be! It was rather late I must be dreaming. I sat up, adjusted my glasses and realized this was no dream.
Throughout the years the commercials for Time Life 60's, Time Life Love, Time Life Country and even Time Life 70's brought back welcomed childhood memories.
How could the songs of the 80's be in a tidy little collection. The 80's were just yesterday. I know because I remember clearly Who Shot J.R., ET and Mork, Gary Hart had a girlfriend, Ronald Reagan was shot, Michael Jackson moon walked and MTV captivated the world as Pac Man and Asteroids ate away our quarters.
But there he was, Huey Lewis, front and center pitching the "decade of the eighties." His hair was gray, his eyes shadowed by crow's feet and his double breasted jacket was gone, but it was him.
I rolled off the couch, slipped on my flip flops and grabbed a flashlight. I rummaged through the storage building until I found the box that held my albums and forty-fives. I blew the dust off my turntable and danced to Eye of the Tiger, Oh Sherry, Time After Time, Puttin' on the Ritz and Sister Christian.
As I looked in the mirror the next morning, I thought of Huey Lewis and the fact that he looked twenty years older. But do I? I asked myself as I mixed the hair color to hide my gray and realized that fine line had officially become a wrinkle.
For the first time in my life I felt old. I started to dial the number and order the "decade of the 80's" collection but decided
Who needs Time Life when you lived the real thing?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home