Monday, March 10, 2008

It's Generational

Do you play car games with your kids while on a road trip? This weekend my daughter's and I attended a wedding in Abilene. Along the way we played I Spy, License Plate's, Find a _______, and Alphabet Game. These games eventually lost their thrill, so we invented our own games. I thought this would pass the time, little did I know it would show me the differences in our generations.

We started out playing Name 5 boys/girls names that start with the letter ___. The first turn was mine and I had the letter "L". I said Lisa, Linda, Laura, Lindsey & Lucy. Simple enough right. The next time was my 10 year old's turn. she had the letter "R". She said the names Ryan, Reece, Reed, and then stopped, she was stumped. I suggested Russell & Richard. She said "no I don't know anyone by those names." My 13 year old threw in the name Rylee and they agreed that name would be acceptable. The next letter was "T" as I was driving I thought of names starting with the letter "T". Names such as Tim, Todd, and Taylor immediately came to mind. As my daughters started to speak I expected these names to flow out of their mouths instead they said Tucker, Trystin, Tarabithia (lot's of laughter followed that one). Names that never entered my imagination, are normal everyday occurrences for my children's generation. This game went on for about 10 more minutes and we switched to "Name a car that starts with the letter____." I suggested the letter "H". I expected Honda and Hummer to come out of daughters mouths instead I heard "hybrid."

Just when I thought a 4 hour car trip would be a bonding experience I find a child named Tucker and a car called Hybrid. I feel old and long for a Timothy, a Teresa and maybe even a good ole' station wagon.

Though I must admit the name Tucker is growing on me.

But then again the radio did seem too loud!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home