Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Election 2008:Will it ever end?

It looks like John McCain will be the Republican nominee. He was not my first, second, third or even fourth choice. Politically and philosophically I agree most with Mitt Romney. Mike Huckabee was a very close second. I do not know why John McCain considers himself a republican this would be like me considering myself a liberal.
I am disappointed that Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee are not going to be the president and vice-president, but that is not why I am ready for this election to be over.
Have you heard any issues from either party? Have you heard anyone discuss the situation in Iraq, the plague of illegal immigration, the failing US schools, the epidemic of school shootings that have now escalated to include college students? No one is discussing anything of merit this year.
The topic of conversation for this election seems to be race and sex. Two things that really should not matter in life. Do the media outlets have to dwell on the fact that Barack Obama is black/half black or that Hillary Clinton is a woman? I really do not care what race or sex they are anymore than I care what race George W Bush happens to be. I do not ever recall him or any other candidate in the past being referred to as the male, white candidate.
Instead this year we hear "Why does Barack Obama, the black candidate, no longer wear the American flag on his lapel?" Then in the next breath "Why does Hillary Clinton, the female senator from New York, select such bad clothing." Often times I feel like I am watching E-News and they are going to,flash photographs of them walking down the red carpet!
We in the United States like to consider ourselves above racism and sexism but headlines in the nations newspapers, the media tickers that run across the television screen and the voices heard on the radio airwaves have proven that really is not the case.
Why does Barack Obama have to be black and why Does Hillary Clinton have to be female? Why can't they just be candidates?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home